Thursday, January 20, 2005

The whether

Though I wouldn't recommend being confined to the house, the weather has kept me in slippers and sweaters, sometimes rattling from room to room but also writing.


The view out my back door...

The time spent writing has been in the service of adding to Guidelines, my manuscript of travel poetry.

I've been writing on Indonesia most recently and have made a series of strange discoveries - first of all, that the tsunami lifted the island of Siberut, where I slipped and slopped through the jungle, as much as a meter out of the water (but, fortunately, was otherwise unaffected) - and secondly, that my great-great grandfather was one of the Governor Generals of the Dutch East Indies (which, of course, eventually became Indonesia).

I've been trying to digest all of this in the midst of trying to work from journal entries and memories that are six years old. Strange currents, indeed...

1 comment:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Though I loved it right off, the more I look at this pic, the more and more I love it...