Monday, September 26, 2005

festive

This photo is for Brenda Schmidt, who followed me into the deepest parts of the forest without a pocketfull of smooth white stones or scrabble tiles or even the heel of a loaf of homemade bread, who stalked the path up ahead as I crouched in the sodden mulch and tried to see.

Brenda also allowed me to lead her in and around Winnipeg's downtown as we took in the Winnipeg International Writers Festival. We took in three and four events a day, at the same venues day after day, and she still didn't know where she was going....

Still, her singlemindedness - and the things it allowed her to hear and see - is something I grudgingly admire...so I'd like to thank her for every-goddamn-thing over this very difficult but also very pleasurable week.

A.

* * *


Assiniboine Forest, Wpg, MB. September 22, 2005.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ariel, I want to 'hear' and 'see' more of you - what you heard and saw at the festival, what sparked your gut, what put you off, what made you want to bang your head on the table in joy. Did you see Robert Kroetsch? Did you hear that fella in the leather jacket? Are you going to the Vancouver Writer's Festival?
Jill

Ariel Gordon said...

Hey G/Jill,

I'm having to recover simultaneously from attending double digit events and also having a houseguest who would have liked to go to even more events, so it'll probably take me a day or two to decompress and actually discuss, well, books...

In the meantime, let me answer your last three questions: yes. yes. no.

A.