Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Special Order

There’s nothing like celebrating the success of people you admire.

The ones whose struggle you’ve been a part of, that you respect, because in part it echoes your struggle.

And when it comes, your reaction is: “Yes. Finally…”

So here’s to Gillian Wigmore, whose chapbook of poems, Home when it moves you (Creekstone Press, Fall 2005) is nearly sold out after a four day tour of northern BC with editor/poet George Sipos and designer/poet Donna Kane.

I met Gillian at the Banff Centre. In addition to her poetry, she also writes songs. I think I could spend any amount of time listening to her read her poetry – I know I spent several evenings listening to her sing in the writers’ lounge. I’m just sad I didn’t get to see her launch this book – though I’ll be sadder if the publishers don’t find me a copy…

Here’s to Perry Grosshans, who had his first literary publication with Grimm Magazine when they accepted his short fiction piece Sagebrush. Perry is an up-and-fricking-coming young adult fantasy writer whose writing I read with pleasure over the three years that we belonged to a writers’ group together.

Grimm was all-sold-out in McNally Robinson stores across Winnipeg, so I had to order it in special just so I could re-read Perry’s dark little story.

And finally, here’s to Polly Washburn, who recently organized a Poetry Potluck for poets of her acquaintance in Winnipeg. She’d asked me to help organize this event over a year ago but I was reluctant. What if no one showed up? It would be like having a houseparty and sitting there anxiously waiting for people to show, except worse…

So I participated only as one of Polly’s invitees and was one of nine people crowding poet Maurice Mierau’s lavender living room.

Here’s to Polly having the confidence to say she’s a poet and to organize herself a community in the midst of twenty other projects and an emerging career as a filmmaker.

5 comments:

Anita Daher said...

I love the idea of a poetry potluck (or any other kind of gathering of writers with food). I also love Maurice's lavender livingroom!

Polly said...

Aw, thanks Ariel for the kudos. I have to say I didn't notice the wall colour at Maurice's. Here's hoping you'll host the next one - and sounds like you should invite Anita!

Brandon said...

Nice Blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the praise, although my CV ain't nothin' like yours! Heh. I really should read your blog a little more regularly than once every three months. There's such nice stuff here.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ariel:

Thanks for the heads-up on Perry's Grimm issue being out of stock in Winnipeg... knew I should have bought mine as soon as he told us about it! Oh well, I'll special order it, too.

Cheers!