Wednesday, December 07, 2005

displeasure, the incurring of

I squint at people when they ask me if I'm ready for Christmas yet.

I scowl at M when he says we should get a fake tree.

Unfortunately, both these reactions are exactly identical to my normal reactions to the world, so no one notices my extra, White Queen-ish displeasure. (SMITE! SMITE!)

My remedy to date is to dip my nose back into whatever slim volume of The Narnia Chronicles I've tucked into my bag that day.

If I don't have a stroke between now and then, I'll have a week off between Xmas and New Year's. Besides shuttling between Mumsy's, Poppi's, and the In-laws', I'm going to digging myself a deep, reviewer-like hole in Eden Robinson's Blood Sports and Ami McKay's The Birth House.

I'll also probably see The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe when it hits theatres (I think witnessing Tilda Swinton SMITING things will be worth the price of admission alone...).

Yum.

9 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

You lucky reviewers. I want a full report on each novel the minute you finish reading them.

Gillian said...

Smite! Smite! Me, too. I mean, don't smite me, let's smite in tandem. back to back, like. with swashbuckling machetes. Smite!

Anita Daher said...

I have been so looking forward to Narnia!!

Tracy Hamon said...

I want to do everything you've said, but mostly I want to learn to Smite. It sounds Smiting!

GM said...

I'm scared you won't come away empty and disturbed. What then? Where will I direct my derision?

Ariel Gordon said...

The film got middling reviews.

I got a whopping migraine, which left me less able to smite than I'd previously believed possible.

Where has the brute in me gone?

Ariel Gordon said...

(Oh, GM, I prefer to direct my derision into the atmosphere as a fine mist...)

Brenda Schmidt said...

Oh good, I'm surrounded by writers who like to smite. So when you smite does it sound something like CHUMP CHUMP CHUMP?

Anonymous said...

I think the grand poobah of "smiting" writers is Thomas Malory. Read "Morte D'Arthur" and you'll find an incredible number of people smiting others, and said victims becoming "all astonied." I doubt that any of them were literally turned to stone, but it gives an interesting interpretation of the origins of the word "astonished"--am I thinking too much about this? Perhaps. But I think Ariel can appreciate this kind of meditation...

David