Sunday, February 18, 2007

outing

So we got to go outside today. It was still cold, it was still a day in a park peopled only by bundled dogwalkers and dogs with snow anklets, but it wasn't unbearable.

We piled a bundle of fabric that only faintly resembled our sleeping daughter onto her sled, did up the faintly ridiculous plastic windbreak that zips on top, and off we went.

And even though my mittens - the fingers packed with the extra cotton batting of cold - made me clumsy, I was still holding the camera.

I was still able to scan the trees, the path next to the trees, and the sky...for a photo.


Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB. February 18th, 2007.

I didn't come back with much but it wouldn't have mattered if I'd forgotten to take off the lens cover and filled my card with matte black...

Walking today and walking as much as I can over the next few days is what will break the back of winter.

And I know we all need it broken.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

I'm with you, Ariel. It's hard work getting out there, but it's so worth it.

Ariel Gordon said...

Hey Gilly,

I completely agree!

Though I will concede that the park looks especially dank, with frozen pee puddles and branches smithereened by cold and also canine canines...

But it snowed today, so maybe some of the inhabitation will be disguised.

(I enjoyed your piece in Geist, by the way...)