Thursday, November 29, 2007

fall back: the last good day



* * *

fall back: the last good day
is a poem from my completed manuscript, tentatively entitled Hump, that should be on a stack of similar manuscripts at the offices of the Writers' Federation of New Brunswick (this is my roundabout way of saying I submitted it for their manuscript prize and so met the must-get-it-done goal I set for myself this summer...).

I wrote the poem a few years ago and shot the video this past October but this fall and that coupla-years-ago fall were very similar: no snow until quite late in the season. So they seemed to jibe.

In any event, I decided I wanted to see how the two fit together recently, after the multimedia intensive that was the HOT AIR blog but also after completing a text/image workshop at Video Pool.

Thanks to M for the editing assistance, especially as Aa is currently resisting sleep the way, well, that I resist most everything EXCEPT sleep. Her reluctance to rest is tiring for us (as it extends what are already very long days with her) but also cuts into our get-stuff-done time in the evenings.

Thanks to B for most things but also for the video-poem-ing inspiration.

(I know I owe an Art from the Heart post, but I'm not done processing how I felt about the event and my work in the event, so...that'll have to wait.)

6 comments:

Anita Daher said...

Holy doodle--this rocks, Ariel!

BionicPerry said...

Yes, very cool. Although your last line is scary (It will all fall!) -maybe it's just the way you read it in the low scary voice - heh!

Brenda Schmidt said...

Bravo! It works beautifully.

And I know I've said it before, but Hump is a great title for the ms.

Ariel Gordon said...

Thanks, you three...

I do like Hump as a title. It's dirty and clever and a nice little mouthful all at once, which is what I aim for in most of my writing.

(Though I am planning to re-upload a larger version of the video tonight, as Blogger/Google over-compressed an already compressed file...)

Tracy Hamon said...

Cool!

Anonymous said...

wow! loved it!!! the poem and video go great together - but mostly, i love hearint the poem in your voice. i think you should make a CD/DVD "manuscript"....