Sunday, June 15, 2008

down(ed)

Hey all,

I've been playing of late with varying what is sharp in my mushroom pics. I find it can draw the eye in intriguing ways. But, since I usually take several photos from several angles in several different bursts of dappled light, I often have several images to choose from of any given specimen.

The problem is that in the case of the image I've entitled 'down,' I like the effect of BOTH the sharp greenery/soft moth and soft greenery/sharp moth. And, try as I might, I couldn't decide which to post...



So I asked M, who will often get a pre-blogger viewing of the pics, what he thought.

M, having assumed his best photo-editor voice, intoned that preferred the latter (I josh because I love. No, wait, I josh because I can...). He said he couldn't tell that the soft moth WAS a moth. Also, the composition was too loose.



And I agreed with him on one level because I'd already selected and processed soft greenery/sharp moth. But when it came time to post the pic, I was still torn.

I like the ambiguity of the soft moth. Also, I'm not completely convinced that people need to know that it's a moth to appreciate it as a part of the photo...

Finally, even though I wielded my cropping tool mercilessly, in the end, I liked the looseness of the photo. The subject(s) just needed...room.

So, if you care to, please cast a vote for your favorite 'down.'

* * *

All photos Assiniboine Forest, Wpg, MB. June 15, 2008.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for sharp greenery/soft moth. I like the way the greenery pops out and catches my eye – partly b/c it’s the colour in the photo but also b/c it’s, well, sharp! But that’s totally my oh so very humble layman’s perspective….

Anonymous said...

I vote for the sharper moth/soft greenery, because in sharp greenery/soft moth, I keep trying to focus on the moth, because it is larger than the greenery, and in the other, both are easily discerned. Perhaps if the moth were smaller in relation to the greenery, the soft moth would work better for me.

Ariel Gordon said...

Thanks, you two...both valid opinions, to be sure.