The Manitoba Book Awards celebrates its 21st anniversary with the presentation of 13 awards celebrating Manitoba’s writers and publishers on April 25 at the WAG.
While we'd like to encourage people to show up at the awards, if only to witness bookstore owner Kelly Hughes present the Aqua Books Lansdowne Prize for Poetry, we have what we think will be a far meatier invitation...
Aqua Books is reviving the practice of holding MBA nominee readings in the weeks before the awards.
And so, we're pleased to invite you to join us for one/all of these events. (I think they'll be gobs of fun!)
* * *
Aqua Books presents: 2009 Manitoba Book Awards Nominee Readings
Saturday April 4, 2pm
Best Illustrated Book of the Year / Manuela Dias Book Design of the Year
- nominees Patricia Bovey, Louise Duguay, Jane Heinrichs, Bernard Leveille, and Diana Thorneycroft.
Wednesday April 8, 7pm
Eileen McTavish Sykes Award for Best First Book
- nominees Jan Guenther Braun, Andrew Davidson, Christina Penner, and Daria Salamon.
Thursday April 9, 7pm
Aqua Books Lansdowne Prize for Poetry Series
- 2009 nominees Rosanna Deerchild, Maurice Mierau, Laurent Poliquin, and Kerry Ryan.
Saturday April 11, 2pm
Alexander Kennedy Isbister Award for Non-Fiction
- nominees Patricia Bovey, Amy Karlinsky, and Cecil Rosner.
Saturday April 18, 7pm
The Margaret Laurence Award for Fiction
- nominees Miriam Toews and David Bergen.
Wednesday April 22, 7pm
Le Prix littéraire Rue-Deschambault
- nominees Louise Duguay and Lise Gaboury-Diallo.
* * *
Diana Thorneycroft presented at the April 4 event.
Joan Thomas will be appearing at the April 8 and 18th events.
Tatiana Arcand will read at the April 22 event.