Tuesday, May 05, 2009

bottom



All photos Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB. May 5, 2009.

* * *

Even though I am in debt, May Day-wise, I decided to go for a walk this morning instead of mewing myself up in my office.

It was a strange walk, the forest still sodden in spots and full up of people walking their dogs sans leash.

Since my goal when walking is silence and wildlife besides dog, I veered off the main path as soon as possible, taking a footpath that parallels the main one. And it was there that a dog came up behind me and leapt at me.

I don't think it touched me or was intending to hurt me, but it was big and it lunged at me and my stomach lurched...

When the dog's owner caught up to us, she muttered "Oh, sorry, I thought you had a dog with you."

I took several moments to contemplate this statement and also what M would have said had he been there...and then I just walked off.

Soon afterwards, my camera batteries died, but I knew from past experience that you can usually get a few more images out of dead batteries.

So I waited and walked and listened to the frogsong and tried to imagine the greenery grown up around the hateful new limestone path they put in last year.

And then I found this mushroom. As you can tell from the titles, I shot both the top and the underside with my dead batteries, surprised that the two images that resulted from this exercize could be so different.

2 comments:

Mike Deal said...

Nice photos! You're right, I would have said and probably done something bad to that dog!!! Lucky dog.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Nice pics, A! Bummer about the dog.