Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And more!

Hey all,

A while back, Theatre by the River, who recently did a successful run of the Judith Thompson play Habitat at Aqua, had an open call for submissions for their wine & readings evening.

Given that they are a theatre troupe and presumably are all theatre-y, the gimmick was that the texts would be performed by performing arts types and not their writer.

Which is sort of fun. I've long wanted to do a 'strangers on a train' reading whereby I did a whole set of someone else's poems (and vice-versa). But having someone all theatre-y 'do' my poems would be even better...

And I just got word that I'm in. The only catch is...I didn't make the poster.

I'm an "and more..." but then, so is Susie Moloney, and she's brilliant. (And did you see the rest of the list? My word!)

Anyways, I'm hoping that Carolyn Gray, writer and theatre impresario, will get the nod to read my piece. Which, by the way, is a civil-war era snippet of Edisonia.

(Maybe someday I'll get to read one of Carolyn's texts for an audience...)(Criss cross! Criss cross!)

* * *

Wine & Words: new writings
A Theatre by the River fundraiser


When:
Saturday May 29th
Time: Bar 6 pm / Readings 7 pm
Where: Red River College: Princess Street Campus (160 Princess Street)
Cost: $10

Tickets available at Artspace Ticket Centre (100 Arthur Street)
or via theatrebytheriver@gmail.com

Theatre by the River presents a night of first tastes - wines you've never sipped and words you've never heard. With brand new writings from some of Canada's most celebrated authors, submissions from local emerging talent and a few delicious red and whites, get set for a night of discovery.

Featuring new works by:

Hannah Moscovitch
Margaret Sweatman
Deborah Willis
Beverley Cooper
Ian Ross
Michael Nathanson
Elizabeth Hay
Anthony De Sa
Brian Francis
Helen Humphreys
Martha Baillie
Anosh Irani
Vern Thiessen
John Toone
Alissa York

And more!

Generously supported by:

Arbeiter Ring Publishing, Assiniboine Credit Union, Absurd Machine Studios, Keneston Wine Market and Stephen & Andrews Food and Wine Shoppe

No comments: