Monday, May 28, 2012

Horizon

All photos LaBarriere Park, Winnipeg. May 26, 2012.

* * *

It had been years since we'd been in LaBarriere Park. So when we arrived and I saw the long expanse of mowed field dotted with dandelions, I wasn't expecting much...

But after we crossed the footbridge and dove into the trees, it couldn't have been more interesting. Mossy logs and new mushrooms emerging from the leaf litter and stinging nettle in the understory and big healthy elms everywhere.

The girl was climbing everything and singing at the top of her lungs. Once she was tightrope-walking a log while I was photographing a mushroom on it and I had to order her off.

And while one of the reasons I go to the woods is for silence, if singing is what it takes to make Aa a part of that experience, I'm happy to listen to her. Or to try to ignore her with some grace.

Plus, the bear scat we saw made me quite glad that we had a noisemaker with us...

No comments: