Friday, August 24, 2012

Press check!

So I got to go on a press check on Thursday for UMP's Imagining Winnipeg book (which I still refer to as 'the Foote book' in my head...).

l-r: David Carr, Randy the pressman, and Steven Rosenberg.
After a twelve-hour day, driving to and from Altona, where the Friesens plant is, my camera is full of pictures of UMP director David Carr and Doowah Design's Steven Rosenberg.

My clothes still have that 'new book smell.'

But more than that, my head is still full of the enormity of the place. Reams and stacks of paper...

What look like water pipes, coming down from the ceiling, specifically for ink to feed the presses...

The ancient embosser in the middle of all the machinery, including a robot arm that lifts boxes...

The immense art book that retails for $5,000 in Friesens trophy room...

And yet, homemade cherry pie in the cafeteria where we waited the 45 minutes or so between signatures. And the Safeway bag on a cafeteria table full of extra cucumbers. And the quilted version of the cover of Robert Munsch's Love You Forever on the wall.

Thanks to Glenda for showing us around, for making sure we had covers and one of each of the signatures we approved to take home and for directing us to Jasmine's Tea Room, just down the street from Friesens.

Also, yay for my first press check!

No comments: