Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Poetry-as-saviour

 So I won the Literary Press Group's National Poetry Month contest, which meant that 35 books of poetry arrived on my doorstep this week. (!)

I had a good rummage amidst the titles yesterday. Pulled out the ones I already had and made piles of the ones I didn't have. Ones I'm interested in/ones I'm less interested in. You know.

Anyways, here is the first to-read pile. You'll note all the titles are land/forest-y. That's just where I am right now...

The Deer Yard by Cooper & Thurston (Gaspereau Press, 2013)

Fire Watcher by Vivian Demuth (Guernica Editions, 2013)

The Lease by Mathew Henderson (Coach House, 2012)

Active Pass by Jane Munro (Pedlar Press, 2010)

In the Vision of Birds: New and Selected Poems by Steve Luxton (DC Books, 2012)

Seldom Seen Road by Jenna Butler (NeWest Press, 2013)

The Flicker Tree: Okanagan Poems by Nancy Homes (Ronsdale Press, 2012)

In related news, I brought a couple of the books I already had to my writing group meeting on Tuesday. I gave Marita Dachsel's Glossolalia to Kerry Ryan and Clea Roberts' Here is Where we Disembark to Alison Calder.

Alison was so pleased, she gifted me with a pair of stripy wool socks she'd knitted. And what's more, colourway of the sock wool she'd made them from was named Winnipeg. Which is just about perfect. (Apparently, her husband Warren doesn't like wool socks. To which I say: ????????)

 Who says poetry can't save the world?

(Okay, she had brought them because they were too big for her. And I have MASSIVE feet. But I prefer my poetry-as-saviour model...)

(I really love the term "colourway.")

No comments: