Saturday, May 11, 2013

urban/forest reading

So I'm on an urban/nature reading kick these days in service of my non-fiction essays on urban forests, specifically around Winnipeg's Assiniboine Forest.

I've been working my way through the following titles and thought you might be interested too...

Feral: Rewilding the Land, the Sea, and Human Life by George Monbiot (Penguin Canada, 2013).
I'm reviewing this title for the Winnipeg Free Press. And while I am not completely convinced by its manly bluster, there are some interesting ideas at play here...

Gardens Aflame: Garry Oak Meadows of BC's South Coast by Maleea Acker (New Star Books, 2012)
It's been very interesting reading this book against Feral, given that Monbiot calls for re-wilding instead of conservation. It's been very interesting reading this book about a particular environment, given my own preoccupation with a particular environment. (I'll be interviewing Maleea for the Jane Day Reader over the coming weeks...)

Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms by Eugenia Bone (Rodale, 2011).
I stumbled across this title in the field guide section of McNally's and gasped audibly. GASP! But its concentration on cash crops such as matsutake, morels, and truffles so far is disappointing.

City Wilds: Essays and Stories About Urban Nature edited by Terrell F. Dixon (University of Georgia Press, 2002)
Vancouver park interpreter/poet Bren Simmers recommended this one. Michael Aaron Rockland's essay about canoeing around Manhattan provoked a fit of giggles. (To clarify: a good giggle-fit.)

Landscape and Memory by Simon Schama (Random House, 1995)
 My UMP colleague David Carr loaned me this title from his collection. 

I also pillaged the U of M library system and came up with the following titles, which I plan to similarly pillage for both data and language:

The Relative Abundance of Songbirds and Small Mammals in Assiniboine Forest by C. Cuthbert and W.H. Koonz (Manitoba Department of Renewable Resources and Transportation Services, 1976)

Assiniboine Forest: An Urban Wilderness Park (Parks and Protection Division, City of Winnipeg, 1974)

Inventory, Analysis and Management of the Assiniboine Forest Urban Nature Area by Tom Ruta (MA Thesis, Natural Resources Institute, 1981).

Resident Opinions Concerning Deer Management in the Greater Winnipeg Area, Manitoba, Canada by Erin McCance (MA Thesis, Dept. of Environment and Geography, 2009)

I'm also working my way through two course packs given to me by the U of Wpg's Richard Westwood, used in his Urban Forestry and Forest Policy and Management courses.

So, dear readers, can you recommend any other urban/nature titles you think I should consider?

No comments: