Thursday, October 10, 2013

noisy forest

All photos Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB. October 10, 2013.
* * *

All the overweening ambition of the past year has caught up with me. Which is to say that I'm lousy with deadlines but seem to spend most of my time feeling achy and tired (or complaining about same. See?)

And I haven't been to the forest for ages. After a good run of once- or even twice-a-week visits, I managed to find compelling reasons to not take myself for good long walks.

So this morning I drug myself to the forest.

And it was beautiful...but noisy. Two trains rattling along Wilkes. Multiple airplanes, taking off and landing at the nearby airport. Ambulance sirens from Grant. Trembling aspen leaves, trembling. The jangle of dog collars. The flick of leaves as they fell to the ground. My feet, crunching leaves.

I had trouble finding mushrooms under all the leaf litter. I was distracted by all the movement in the periphery.

But I walked. And calmed down. And took some pictures I was happy with.

1 comment:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Thank goodness for forests! Lovely as always, A.