Sunday, April 06, 2014

Snow hills

All photos Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB. April 05, 2014.

* * *

So my desktop died today. And I spent most of the first sunny days in ages in the buzzing silver hive of the Apple Store at the mall, dragging folders to safety.

I saved my essays about the Forest - or, rather the beginnings of my essays about the Forest - and then ran to the Forest.

M and I walked through granular old snow. And skirted puddles. And held hands.

There was nothing moving in the forest besides disobedient dogs and the odd chickadee.

And then I found a patch of unearthed grass, at the base of a snow hill. The snowplow would push the snow off the path onto these hills, all winter long.

So I stood there on the sodden ground, with last year's grasses moistly rotting, and tried to smell the earth. I have a terrible sense of smell, so I only got the faintest whiffs through my usual congestion. And M couldn't get anything, either.

It'll be a long time before all the snow melts.

No comments: