Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Celebrating TWB…in Winnipeg

When: Tuesday, October 30, 7:00 pm
Where: McNally Robinson Grant Park (1120 Grant Avenue)
Cost: FREE

For 39 years, Toronto Women’s Bookstore has served the community, readers and writers, both in Toronto and further afield.

November 4, 2011 reading at TWB.
In mid-October TWB owner Victoria Moreno, announced that the store will close its doors at the end of November.

Former Winnipegger Tanis MacDonald is planning a celebratory event in Toronto on October 30. And so we’re planning a satellite/sympathy event in Winnipeg for the same day at McNally Robinson, to mark TWB’s passing, to talk about the need for spaces dedicated to women, the need for independent booksellers.

What better space than McNally Robinson? And what better community of readers and writers than in Winnipeg?

So far, confirmed readers include Katherine Bitney, Shawna Dempsey, Dora Dueck, Joanne Epp, Ariel Gordon, Carolyn Gray, Patti Grayson, Sally Ito, Sarah Klassen, Sheila McClarty, Christina Penner, Adele Perry, Jennifer Still, Melanie Dennis Unrau, Katherena Vermette.

With more to come! Please join us!

* * *

An Important Message to the Many Valued Customers, Supporters, and Friends of The Toronto Women’s Bookstore:

It is with a mix of sadness and resignation that I inform you all that The Toronto Women’s Bookstore (TWB) will be closing on Friday, November 30th., 2012. Over the course of its illustrious 39 year history, the TWB has meant many things to many people. It was already steeped in those memories for me, when, two and a half years ago, I decided to try my hand at reviving and re-branding the TWB as the vibrant and viable centre for social justice and women’s issues that has defined its core values for almost four decades. For me and for many like me, it was always a safe, open and welcoming space where ideas were paramount, and where a community was given a voice. I’d like to think that in my relatively brief tenure as owner, I stayed true to the principles that defined this internationally renowned institution over the course of its history.

The fact is book markets have changed radically in the past few years. Ebooks, fierce online competition and a stagnant economy have all contributed to our business model becoming no longer sustainable. I’m closing the bookstore with the bittersweet knowledge that I did my best. I gave everything I had; physically, emotionally, and financially. I’ve learned a great deal about every aspect of the business and I have no regrets.

I’d like to take this opportunity to invite all friends, past and present, to a two day celebration of the Toronto Women's Bookstore, wherein we will honour the legacy of this Toronto landmark. Details of this celebration will be made available as plans coalesce.

Thanks in advance to you all for your support and please spread the word to your friends and colleagues. It’s been a true pleasure working with the community these past few years and I hope to continue to enjoy the fruits of our acquaintance in all of my future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Victoria Moreno


No comments: