Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Free Your Mind: Spousal Support

Have a blah Valentine's Day? Don't know what to do with a mid-winter long weekend?

Then join us at Aqua Books for an evening that will feature two of Winnipeg's pre-eminent literary couples: David Elias / Brenda Sciberras and Warren Cariou / Alison Calder.

Monday, February 18th, 7:30 pm

Aqua Books, 89 Princess St.
(Between McDermot & Bannatyne)


The Free Your Mind Reading Series is a collaboration between Aqua Books and The Writers' Collective, with each event featuring a different literary genre and/or theme.

Admission is free.

* * *

Aqua Books proprietor Kelly Hughes is probably too busy to be hosting this event, given that he's mid-way through a (much-documented) renovation of his new building.

And I'm probably an idiot for scheduling an event a lean week after I return from holiday, but neither Kelly nor I wanted to stop programming for the store altogether between Christmas and the move to the new store, so I schemed up the Spousal Support concept.

There are several literary couples in Winnipeg I could have called on, but I wanted to see David/Brenda and Warren/Alison and this is probably the last chance I have to do something selfish before I officially start as Aqua's Events Coordinator, so...

Did I mention that I'll be starting at Aqua in that capacity March 1st?

This wasn't a decision I made lightly, given that I spent eight years with my current employers. They've given me room to grow (from mostly admin gak to communications) and also the flexibility to take advantage of a variety of opportunities, not the least of which was less than a week's notice before hopping on a plane for Scotland and a month-long artist's retreat there.

But the new job will also allow me to chat with writers and book folk while simultaneously trying to reach out to people interested in books and thinking and performance...for money.

It was an easy choice, in the end.

Now all I have to do is survive two more weeks of full time at the old job, which will include hiring a new me as well as tidying up several years worth of files, both electronic and on paper.

Hopefully, I'll see some of youse that I've neglected, lo these hectic few months, at the event...

No comments: