* U of W to host Carol Shields Symposium in May 2009, organized by Marjorie Anderson and Deborah Schnitzer.
* The inaugural International Prize for Arabic Fiction, dubbed the "Arabic Booker," goes to Egyptian author Baha Taher
* U of C prof Piers Steel sold U.S. rights to his self-help tome in what Publishers Weekly calls "a high six-figure deal."
* Maurice Mierau will read from his upcoming collection of self-help poems at Prairie Fire's World Poetry Day event March 20th.
* The Winnipeg Public Library reminds Winnipeg writers to submit to Doug Whiteway, the current Writer-in-Residence.
To read more, see the Winnipeg Free Press website.
(I tried to get some funny past the great-editor-in-the-sky this week. It didn't work. But I also finished writing the column at 3 am Thursday night so maybe the funny just wasn't that funny...)