Thursday, March 13, 2008

the damage, day two

My second day at Aqua Books featured a big rush first thing and then a big lull. And, fool me, I'd done all my Events Coordinator-type work the day before on my 'day off.'

And I was doing okay, not spending too much time trolling the shelves, until a man in a leather jacket came in.

His wife was a writer, he said, and she needs fairy tales and folk tales.

So over the course of the next thirty minutes, he pulled down nearly $150 worth of books, practically everything in the fairy tales section.

And to my delighted chagrin, he handed me one of his few rejects, a book his wife already had: A Dictionary of Fairies.
Books:

Compliments of the Season
(Penguin Books, 1947)

A Dictionary of Fairies by Katherine Briggs (Penguin Books, 1977)

The Long Silence of Mario Salviati by Etienne Van Heerden (HarperCollins Publishers, 2003) (ARC)


Fridge magnets:


trouble with lichen by John Wyndham

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

Hobgoblins, brownies, bogies, and other supernatural creatures aside, day two was much the same as day one, with the exception that today, no one pooped on the bathroom floor.

(I'm not kidding, either. Kelly called this morning, just to tell me what he'd found when closing up.)

I'm still adjusting to the different rhythms and routines of retail versus my previous nine-ish to five-ish existence.

But as Kelly said, back at the store after a day moving furniture hither and yon (including the Stone Angel set piece from the recent Buffalo Gals production of The Stone Angel) and once again settled in his chair, it was only my second day.

No comments: