Thursday, June 05, 2008

hover

The translucent tip of a condom
on the sidewalk through the rain
of elm seed: sex in cars / sex for money
just another cultivar. A dozen hollow-cheeked
mattresses in the alley make a house of cards
while shoes twirl & two-step from wires. The overhead toss,
the answering gesture of shoes filling with rain.
The Portuguese man daydreaming of strips
of soft rag & vines as thick as swollen fingers.
He – we, they – bear the newsprint shadow
of the man beaten to death
with a post from our fences-make-good-neighbours
philosophy one street over. When a woman
in a fuchsia hijab hovers by I want to say
that above the chemical wash / the clever
mimicry her cheek is plump
& tender but she looks
skeptical.

* * *

This is my last May Day poem. While I didn't write as many poems as I would have liked over the course of the month, I did okay. Some city poems, some baby poems, some how-to poems.

And last night, at Speaking Crow, I emerged from behind my bookseller's table and read two of my May Day poems to the crowd. I quavered a little, but I did okay.

I think I'll continue to read at Speaking Crow, in the interest of improving my performance a little, in the interest of trying out new work.

There'll be Speaking Crows on the first Tuesday of both July and August, so if you'd like to join me, feel free...

No comments: