Friday, December 26, 2008

happy goddamn christmas



* * *

May your 2009 be full of strange men clutching their foreheads while gazing at distinctly unseasonal flowers.

May your 2009 be full of poetry!

* * *

In other news, I just found out that my review of Great Expectations: Twenty-Four True Stories about Childbirth (Anansi, 2008), will be the lead review in the Jan. 4th issue of the Winnipeg Free Press Books Section.

This is the third anthology of birth stories/writers who mother/mothers who write I've reviewed. Interesting how these types of books are starting to appear. More interesting that I'm interested, given that my sentimentality threshold is rather low.

In addition, Marita Daschel, a BC poet who moved kit and kaboodle to Edmonton recently, has asked me to answer a writing/mothering questionnaire that she's circulating to mothers who write/writers who mother, with the answers destined for her blog.

I haven't yet begun the questionnaire, beyond an initial scan, but I'm curious to see how I feel, when pressed, given that my latest writing project is about absent parents. Parents with projects. Parents and creative work.

In other other news, my poem, Fledge will appear in the Winnipeg Free Press on Jan. 2nd, as the third place winner of the recent Writers' Collective poetry contest.

2 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Merry merry, A!

SMSteele said...

same to you, may 2009 be all good things to you