Thursday, July 29, 2010

outstretch



All photos Assiniboine Forest, Winnipeg, MB. July 29, 2010.


* * *

A cloudy cool day after several scorchers seemed eminently suited for a walk in the forest.

I was hoping for plentiful mushrooming but most everything from the wet week or two last month has long since shriveled. Luckily, shrivel is visually interesting.

This is another of those toothy mushrooms. They're an old standby in that they're worth photographing throughout their life-cycle...

...which I can't say for the only other mushrooms on offer in the forest, the starchy gilled things that are nearly impossible to shoot.

So I decided that I would try shooting their sturdy white stems and collect a few for spore printing. Which means, several hours later, that I have already desecrated books/poems by Jonathan Ball, Barbara Nickel, and Anna Swanson.

Heh.

UPDATE: the magnificent ruin I had intended for several good poems will have to wait, as the ugly old mushrooms on offer in the forest had white spores and so made nary an impression on the page.

No comments: