Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eileen McTavish Sykes



Th Eileen McTavish Sykes Award for Best First Book nominees (l-r): Craig Russell, Ariel Gordon, Keith Cadieux, Sheila McClarty.

The final nominee, Theodore Fontaine, couldn't make it to the reading...

* * *

The Eileen McTavish Sykes Award for Best First Book is awarded annually to a Manitoba author whose first professionally published English language book is deemed the best written.

The award will be handed out April 17 the Manitoba Book Awards gala, which will be held at the Centre Culturel Franco-Manitobain.

* * *

When I asked the nominees to assemble at the back of the room for a picture, I was sort of shocked to see half the room wheel around and start taking pictures. It was like having lit paparazzi.

Of course, half of the pictures on my camera feature me instructing the volunteer photographer on which button to push. Because I'm bossy...but also because it's a semi-complicated camera.

No comments: