Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Goodread-ing!

An excerpt from a poem of mine, "Toddle," is a finalist for September's Goodreads Newsletter Contest. (If this sounds familiar, I was also shortlisted for the poem "Blown" in August...)

The newsletter goes out to approximately 3 million people...and each edition features a poem.

The poems are shortlisted by judges Wendy Babiak, Andrew Haley and Ruth Bavetta but members of the ¡POETRY! group select the winner.

So if you're a Goodreads member, join the ¡POETRY! group and vote for me!

If you don't know what Goodreads is, then, well, ahem, here's a poem of mine that was shortlisted for something, randomly, on the internet.

Yay! Fun!

* * *

Toddle

Storm-light’s grey clarity & you
bluster. Syllables batter against the rear-view, cling
to the meat of my earlobes
still half-a-city from home.

Rainclouds unroll over rush-hour, their ticking
stale from storage. Mouth open, I blare My Bonny
shoulder-checking headlights
& grit twisters at the curb.

In evening’s rush-light & traffic’s flare
your face goes china, goes bone
before you drop off, leaving a body to bob
over swells of asphalt & tar
a body for me to bundle inside.